Updated on 12 January 2017
As you will be aware, the Central Auslan Booking Service (CABS) is government funded to provide a free booking service for TAFEs and other registered training organisations (RTOs) across Victoria. As CABS does not directly employ interpreters, interpreters are required to complete an induction and any employment-related paperwork with the relevant RTO directly.
To assist this process each year, CABS organises an interpreter induction. This is an opportunity for interpreters to meet DLOs, ask any questions about work arrangements and complete relevant paperwork. For newer interpreters, it is also the chance to network and discuss educational interpreting in general.
How induction is organised varies from year to year as the casual employment practices of RTOs change.
Tuesday 17 January 2017.
Please see the outline for the day below. You can attend just the sessions relevant to you.
Level 3, Building K (the Library is on the ground floor)
Melbourne Polytechnic Prahran campus
144 High Street, Prahan, 3181
Which RTOs will be attending?
- Holmesglen Institute and Melbourne Polytechnic will be providing a full induction for all interpreters wishing to work with them in 2017.
Please see documentation requirements below.
- Box Hill Institute, the Centre Adult Education and William Angliss will be attending to provide information and answer any questions about work in 2017.
- Chisholm Institute has an online registration process. See further details below.
Tentative outline for the day
|9:30 am||Morning tea provided so come early!|
|Information about working with Box Hill, CAE, Chisholm, Kangan Institute and Bendigo TAFE|
|10:30 am||Holmesglen and Melbourne Polytechnic induction|
|12:00 noon||Lunch (and the opportunity to complete any paperwork)|
RSVP by Thursday 12 January 2017
We really look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on the day. If you can join us, please advise by clicking on this link and registering:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/W6X662Q (this is an updated link to the existing survey)
NAATI Revalidation points
A certificate of attendance will be provided for NAATI re-validation.
If you have any questions or need any further information, please contact the CABS booking office:
E: firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 03 9269 8308
Induction documentation and procedures for each RTO
Information will be provided ASAP about induction procedures for 2017.
A link to the online registration process for all casual employees is coming soon!
- Once Chisholm receives an expression of interest for casual employment, a contract will be created which will be emailed to the interpreter.
- Once the interpreter accepts the contract, they are considered to be employed by Chisholm.
- The Chisholm HR department will email the list of interpreters employed by Chisholm to the DLO.
- Chisholm’s DLO will send all bookings to CABS (priority will be given to those who have completed a contract).
Holmesglen and Melbourne Polytechnic
All interpreters intending to work with Melbourne Polytechnic or Holmesglen in 2017 will need to bring the following to induction:
- Working With Children Check or Vic Teaching Registration (the original and one photocopy for each employer)
- Birth Certificate, current Passport or Visa as proof of ability to work in Australia (the original and one photocopy for each employer)
- Banking details
- Superannuation account details and Tax File Number – only if this has changed since 2016
- Updated NAATI re-accreditation certificate (where relevant)