As you will be aware, the Central Auslan Booking Service (CABS) provides a free booking service for TAFEs and other registered training organisations (RTOs) in Victoria. As CABS does not directly employ interpreters, interpreters are required to complete an induction and any employment-related paperwork with the relevant RTO directly.
To assist this process each year, CABS organises an interpreter induction, although how this runs varies from year to year as the casual employment practices of RTOs change. For 2017, we will be organising ONE induction:
Wednesday 7 December 2016
The agenda for the day is shown below and you can attend only those sessions relevant to you.
Room E202, Building E
144 High Street, Prahan, 3181
Which RTOs will be attending?
Melbourne Polytechnic will be providing a full induction for all interpreters wishing to work with Melbourne Polytechnic in 2017. See documentation requirements below. Interpreters already working with Box Hill will also be able to sign their contracts for 2017 on the day.
Other RTOS will be attending to provide information, answer any questions and circulate paperwork for any new interpreters who have not worked with them in 2016. Any interpreters not already working with these RTOs will need to contact the RTO directly. (CABS can provide you with contact details for the DLOs at all TAFE institutes.)
Chisholm will not be attending on the day but have provided information below about their casual employment procedure.
Tentative outline for the day
RSVP by Friday 30 November 2016
We really look forward to seeing as many of you as possible on the day. If you can join us, please also advise if you would like to join us for lunch and if you have any special dietary requirements E: firstname.lastname@example.org or T: 03 9269 8308
NAATI Revalidation points
A certificate of attendance will be provided for NAATI revalidation
If you have any questions or need any further information, please contact the CABS booking office E: email@example.com or T: 03 9269 8308
Interpreters who have worked with Box Hill in 2016 will be able to sign their contract for 2017 on the day. Any other interpreters wishing to work with Box Hill in 2016 need to make an appointment with the DLO.
The process for all interpreters, existing and new, is to first complete an expression of interest using the following link:
Expressions of Interest (EOI) 2016 – Casual Support Staff (Learning & Support Services)
- Once Chisholm receives their expression of interest a contract will be created which will be emailed to the interpreter.
- Once the interpreter accepts the contract they are considered to be employed by Chisholm.
- Chisholm HR department will email the DLO the list of interpreters employed by Chisholm.
- Chisholm’s DLO will send all bookings to CABS (priority will be given to those who have completed a contract).
Please note: The above link will close
All interpreters intending to work with Melbourne Polytechnic in 2016 will need to bring the following:
- Working With Children Check or Vic Teaching Registration (original and one photocopy)
- Birth Certificate, current Passport or Visa as proof of ability to work in Australia (original and one photocopy)
- Banking details
- superannuation and TFN – only if this has changed from 2016
- Updated NAATI reaccreditation certificate