Welcome to deafConnectEd
As we step into 2017, below are some highlights from 2016 and some of the projects we look forward to delivering later this year.
In 2016 we continued to provide services under our core funding, supporting students and training organisations across Victoria to be responsive to the needs of deaf and hard of hearing learners. Under this funding our projects included:
- greatly expanded section on our website for students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing including more videos in Auslan
- continued provision of our Central Auslan Booking Service, with over 8,000 hours of interpreting provided to deaf students across 6 training organisations and 15 campuses.
- continued delivery of our very popular online notetaking units. Over 200 people have now enrolled in these units with overwhelmingly positive feedback on the information and activities provided.
Working with our partners, deafConnectEd was also involved in:
- a very successful pilot ‘I am Ready’ transition week. Delivered in partnership with Deaf Children Australia, the week providing 10 students with guided tours of educational providers, a series of workshops and guest presenters. Click on the link to see some of the highlights of the week.
- another successful Auslan ‘breadth’ program for undergraduate students at the University of Melbourne, with a similar program already being planned for 2017
- the commencement of a 40-week Auslan program for the Victorian Deaf Education Institute
- delivery of the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment specifically for deaf learners, with funding provided by Vicdeaf
- continuation of a professional development program for Auslan teachers throughout Victoria, in partnership with La Trobe University and Monash University.
deafConnectEd was particularly excited about a successful application for funding to the Victorian Multicultural Commission to support deaf migrants and deaf people with additional disabilities to re-engage as students in the VET sector. We will provide more information as soon as we can about this 2017 initiative.
We look forward to another exciting year ahead, working closely with our partners on these and other projects.