We encourage all interpreters to continue to develop their professional skills and so we have listed some of the resources available below.
Do you know of any other resources that would be useful to share? Please email us any further suggestions.
Educational Signbank is a pool of language resources that relate to the educational sector, developed in consultation with students and practitioners from the Deaf community.
The iAuslan group aim to provide a collection of videos in Auslan ranging from community announcements to interviews and monologues from around Australia. More recently an iAuslan+ series has started with the aim of filming Auslan presentations on a range of topics, genres and presentation styles. deafConnectEd was proud to sponsor the first talk in the series. As presentations are in front of a deaf audience, these resources will become a unique opportunity for language learners.
Australian Sign Language Interpreters Association (ASLIA)
We strongly encourage all interpreters to consider membership of ASLIA (www.aslia.com.au) for news, professional development, networking and mentoring opportunities. ASLIA provides a range of development opportunities including:
- Papers from past ASLIA National Conferences
- Interpret-Ed online presentations and quizzes
- Interpreter Trainers’ Network – a professional network of interpreter educators, trainers and mentors, operating under the umbrella of ASLIA. ITN posts a number of resources on Facebook that are useful to practitioners as well as interpreter trainers:
ASLIA Vic also provides members with a range of resources, as well as organising a packed calendar of professional development and networking opportunities:
- an extensive library of resources that can be viewed or borrowed from their East Melbourne office
- handouts from past workshops
Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators (AUSIT)
AUSIT provides online information and resources for interpreters and translators in Australia, including resources to support the NAATI revalidation process.
Other organisations and sites
- BSL Astronomy – the planets of the solar system
- Links to independent learning activities: The Interpreter’s Tapestry
- Want to practice English to Auslan interpreting? Online recordings of ‘True stories, told live’
Linguistics of Auslan
These short videos provide information about the grammar and use of Auslan – in Auslan! Further videos are in the pipeline and will be added to this page throughout the year. This project was initiated through a project by ASLIA Victoria and the Victorian Deaf Education Institute and will be continued by the deafConnectEd team.