What is a DLO?
“My DLO was wonderful, making sure I got all support I needed. She even organised tutoring for me straight away when I told her that I was struggling with a subject. After thinking that I would pull out, I am pleased that I stayed and finished the course!”
Disability Liaison Officer (DLO)’s role and duties are:
- To make sure that the training organisation provide a suitable environment for teaching and learning for students with a disability;
- To make sure that the students don’t get discriminated against or get harassed;
- Work closely with students who need support to be able to fully participate in their studies and campus life;
- Helps students and teachers work out reasonable adjustments (changes) for example, giving student extra 30 minutes of exam time; and
- Aim to resolve any issues that come up.
“The room was poorly lit and it caused me eye strain. So I complained to the DLO and she spoke with the staff who were responsible for the building and facilities. The lighting was fixed immediately and now I am able to focus in class without eye strain.”