Are you ready to live independently?
It can be fun, but also challenging.
There are lots of information on this page:
- Moving out
- Learn to drive a car
- Home safety
- Other services
You get to decide who you can live with or live on your own. You also can decide where you want to live and how you want to live your life.
There are information to know before you move out:
- Paying your bills on time: electricity, gas, water, internet and phone bills
- Buy food, cooking and eating healthy food most of the time (check out Auslan Cooking Classes on Facebook)
- Washing your clothes, dishes and your place
- Organise technology that you need in your place: deaf smoke alarm, deaf alarm clock, flashing lights, etc.
- Have a list of services and people to help you in case of emergency
- Get ready for study and work and arrive on time
Here are organisations that have deaf friendly technology for you to buy and use in your home:
- Deaf friendly smoke alarm
- Flashing door bell alert system
- Vibrating and flashing alarm clock
- Baby cry alarm
- Technology to hear telephone, television and more
Vicdeaf $50 Smoke Slarm Subsidy Scheme
You can also buy deaf smoke alarms at Brooks and Hearservice at full price.
Smoke Alarm testimonials (Deaf Society)
Vicdeaf – Beyond High School Transition Workshop
Hearservice explains different technology that deaf people use in their lives. Click here to see all workshops.
Glossary of Technology terms
Learn to Drive a Car
There are many driving teachers, but very few deaf driving teachers! Walid Masri is deaf and teaches deaf people how to drive in Auslan and in English:
Walid Masri – Cert IV accredited driving instructor
Need for P’s Driving school
0432849884 (SMS only)
Car and Road Information
You can find more information about driving tests, license, registration, road safety and traffic rules and more on Vicroads website here.
Click here to see all of these videos.
- Four items to keep your home safe
- Property inventory – a list of valuable things you own
- Keep your home safe when planning a holiday
- Protecting your castle
- Security Checklist
- Thinks to avoid
Click here to see all the videos on the website.
Carl Hansen Carpenter/Renovations
email@example.com or 0433356806 (SMS only)
Sian Neame-Smith – Interior Designer
Ashleigh Kedge – Hairdresser
firstname.lastname@example.org or 0402466890 (SMS only)
Bethany Robinson – Wilk Krate Hair
Do you have a question? Or do you want to improve this page? Want to add more information? Send us a message!
Do you have a question?
Or do you want to improve this page?
Want to add more information?
Send us a message!